Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Children of the Nineties One-Hit Wonder Mash-Up : 1999


We're still working our way (albeit extremely gradually) through the one-hit wonders of the 1990s. Up today: 1999, a glorious year for wildly popular songs from a group of artists who for the most part quietly faded into obscurity. 1999 was particularly ripe with one-hit phenomenons, giving us some of the most memorable and inexplicably bizarre top-charting hits of the decade.

In many of these cases, it's more than clear why an outrageously top-selling follow-up was not in the cards for these performers. The general public felt we have heard more than enough from many of these artists; without this sentiment, we may have been subjected to such unnecessary hits as "Green (Do Bee Do)." No thanks.

That said, a few of these acts seemed fairly promising and capable of a long career. For whatever reason, though, even the legitimate musicians among this group have since been relegated to has-been status--at least in the eyes of the pop music charts. It's a tough business, but hopefully they're still milking the royalties from their ubiquitous play in grocery stores and dentist offices. We can only hope.


B*witched: C'est La Vie



Just from the intro, you know this song doesn't take itself especially seriously. The Irish girl group begins their top-charting hit with the spoken exchange, "Some people think I look like me dad," "What? Are you serious?" Brilliant. It's all uphill from here though, from the Three Little Pigs huffing and puffing wolf reference to the ultimately necessary traditional Irish music dance break.


Lou Bega: Mambo No. 5



Lou Bega's cover of Perez Prado's 1949 jive hit quickly shot to popularity, resulting in innumerable parodies of the song's lyrics and structure. None, though, perhaps as ridiculous as the version Lou Bega himself recorded for the G-rated Radio Disney cut. There's no real words to describe the ridiculousness of replacing "liquor store" with "candy story" and extolling the virtues of "A little bit of Minnie in my life/A little bit of Mickey by her side."


Everlast: What It's Like



Ah, now here's a pick-me-up--the story of a beggar outside the liquor store, a pregnant teenager contemplating abortion, and a violent-prone guy with an alcohol problem. Everlast sang the blues over mainstream society's indifference to the plight of the less fortunate. A legitimate and powerful message, no doubt, but not exactly the cheeriest song to top the 1999 charts.


New Radicals: You Get What You Give



"You Get What You Give" is a classic upbeat ode to youth culture, featuring a classic "be yourself" feel-good message. No matter how many times I listen to this song, I've yet to accomplish the difficult feat of actually memorizing all of the lyrics. To this day, the extent of my ability to sing along with this song is, "Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson, Courtney Love and Marilyn Manson....[unknown]...we'll kick your ass in!" I know there's got to be more than that, but my brain is clearly not wired to remember it.


Eiffel 65: Blue (Da Ba Dee)



Of all of the strange one-hit wonders out there, this has to be one of the strangest. It really pushes the rationale of quality equals popularity for mainstream music. "Blue" truly a difficult song to defend on the basis of quality, though its undeniable catchiness is no doubt the foundation of its rise to fame. It's a serious earworm; one listen and you're destined to be humming this one all day.


Eagle-Eye Cherry: Save Tonight



There's something uniquely appealing about a song with a highly repetitive chorus and lyrics. Eagle Eye Cherry managed to repeat the words, "Save tonight" and "Tomorrow I'll be gone" so many times that they will be forever burned into our memory centers. Oddly enough, I have heard "Save Tonight" numerous times over the past few years sung as a campfire song. Perhaps the simplicity of the chords is to blame, but I can't say I saw that one coming a decade back.


Baz Luhrmann: Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)



Yes, the directorial force behind Romeo + Juliet and Moulin Rouge is the voice of the "Wear Suncreen" song. The song was adapted from a Chicago Tribune column geared toward giving the class of 1997 some "advice, like youth, probably wasted on the young." An urban legend sprung up that the speech was one given as a commencement address by Kurt Vonnegut, a rumor that bore no fruit but spoke volumes about the power of the internet to pull stuff out of nowhere.


Shawn Mullins: Lullaby



Here's another song that shows a song doesn't need to be all sunshine and smiles to top the charts. Shawn Mullins' melancholy tone resonated well with listeners and made for an easy sing-along with its chorus of "Everything's going to be all right, rock-a-bye, rock-a-bye." To this day, I still think of LA as "Nashville with a tan." Thanks, Mullins.


Vengaboys: We Like to Party



"We like to party, we like to party, we like to party, we like to party....We like to party! We like! We to party!" With lyrics like those, how could you not have a hit on your hands? It's tough to imagine the endless laborious hours that went into crafting the perfect words to express the Vengaboy's fondness of partying. Luckily, they had the Vengabus as an apt setting for making the magic happen.


Tal Bachman: She's So High



Whenever I worry about how I measure up to someone potentially superior, I simply use the following litmus test: Is she like Cleopatra? How about Joan of Arc? Any similarities to Aphrodiiiiiiiite? If so, she's probably pretty high above me. A foolproof system.


Len: Steal My Sunshine



If you're looking for a light and fluffy summer song to play out by the pool, "Steal My Sunshine" ought to shoot to the top of your list. It's airy and fun with little substance, making it a perfect choice for a poolside song. I'm still at a loss for the meaning of Len's album title, "You Can't Stop the Bum Rush." Maybe some Canadians out there can enlighten me, but I've always assumed it translates to exactly what it sounds like. Gross.

19 comments:

Brackers said...

It's weird to see how things differ across the pond! In the UK we were blessed (or cursed) with lengthy pop careers for both the Vegaboyz and B*Witched. Soundtrack of my childhood!

proletkult said...

se songs are sooo trashy! :D but some of them i still play on my ipod.

Sadako said...

Everlast! Loved him for letting me, an upper class suburban kid, think that I was a bluesy old soul with an appreciation for class issues. Except so not. :)

Anonymous said...

hmmm is it weird that whenever you bring back all these older songs.. I want to add some to my ipod?

lol.. Thanks for all your work you constantly do on these posts.

Melanie's Randomness said...

Omg this like all the Now cds songs. I loved the New Radicals & Len steal my sunshine! The 90's had the most random songs!!

Anonymous said...

I recently bought the B*Witched CD off of Amazon. I listened to it once. Lol Oh well, the joy it brought to me as a middle/high schooler is immeasurable. :)

nikki said...

I love Eagle Eye Cherry in a complete non-ironic way. Seriously good music outta that dude.

Emily said...

Oh lord, the memories that this post brings back....

Miss Kitty Boo said...

ah... is it a bad thing if i listened to four of these just this morning on my way to work? lol. *sigh* I have so many 90s one hit wonders on my iPod its impossible not to have a few come up when its on random...

melina bee said...

freaking hilarious! Esp. yours and Sadako's commentary on the Everlast song... I really couldn't stand that one, but all the rest of these I probably succumbed to at least a little...

Ariana said...

I've been listening to B*Witched on repeat all day. I'm fairly sure my neighbors hate me.

I didn't know they were Irish! My entire extended family lives in Ireland and I first heard the song at my cousins', but I never made the connection.

Anonymous said...

You know what's so creepy?

The male and female in Len were brother and sister, but in the video, they look like they're about to make mouth whoopie.

Deathycat said...

Even when I was 14 I didn't get why the sunscreen song was popular. :p

Felicia said...

Sweet post, appreciate it. I have been intending on doing some thing along these lines for some time, would you mind if I quote you? I'll add a link back obviously.



life

Anonymous said...

Just one little correction: Baz Luhrmann isn't the voice of the Sunscreen Song, it's apparently another aussie guy named Lee Perry, according to IMDB

Anonymous said...

This is probably going to sound odd, but I think most of these songs are going to end up on my I-pod's work-out mix.
They remind me of middle-school, and the bully-induced lack of self esteem I had. Listening to any late '90s pop music stirs up scary, competitive urges inside me I wasn't aware I had.

شركة الحياه said...

أفضل الشركات من حيث تقديم أفضل خدمة وتوظف الشركة عمالة ماهرة تقوم بتعبئة الأثاث بشتى الطرق لحمايته. وذلك بلفه بالكرتون وخاصة في حالة تعرض الاثاث للتلف او الخدوش لذلك نعمل في الشركة بضمان كامل لحين تسليم الاثاث لمكان جديد.

كما نوفر أفضل النجارين لتركيب غرف النوم ولديهم أحدث الأدوات والمعدات الحديثة لضمان أعلى درجات الأمان والمصداقية
شركة الحياه لخدمات النجارة

Spacebar counter said...

You can check your click speed at the web browser or on your cell phones. There is a number of Android applications that give you a platform to calculate your click speed plus a hell of fun. Visit your google play store on a cell phone. Type ‘CPS test’ in the search bar. A listed result will be displayed on your screen. Now, it is up to you to choose the best rated and real named app.
spacebar counter

Spacebar counter said...

spacebar counter

Digg This!